Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Narration: Anansi and the moss-covered rock

TITLE: Anansi and the moss-covered rock
AUTHOR: Traditional African fable

Once upon a time there was a spider named Anansi who was a famous spider. And as he walked along the path he wished he had some food. He said to himself, "I wish I had some food. I wish I had some food. I wish I had some food." Anansi saw something in the middle of the path. Was it food? No, it was just a rock. When Anansi looked at it closer he saw it was a moss-covered rock. And Anansi said "What a strange rock!" and fell asleep. And he slept for a long long time and woke up and said "What a strange rock!" and fell asleep again. And again, and again, and again. And then he said, "What a.....hold it! This must be a magic rock!"

And then he went to Jaguar's house and said, "Let's take a walk because I want to show you a real cool thing." He took Jaguar out and showed him the rock. And the Jaguar said "What a strange rock!" and he fell right asleep. And then Anansi stole all his bananas.

Anansi played the same trick on Monkey, and Bullfrog, and Chipmunk and all the other forest animals. But little Bush Deer was hiding in the bushes and watching him. He followed Anansi to the rock and Anansi couldn't help playing the trick on Bush Deer.

He knocked on Bush Deer's door and said, "I want to show you something real cool." So Bush Deer followed him to the rock. And Bush Deer said, "What is that thing, Anansi?" Anansi said, "No, that's not what you're supposed to say!"

Bush Deer said, "What am I supposed to say?" "You know, that thing," said Anansi. And Bush Deer said, "Ok, if it makes you happy, Anansi. You know, that thing."

"No, not that! You're supposed to say What a you know you know."

"Okay, if you say so. What a you know you know."

"No!" And Anansi stomped his feet and said, "You're supposed to say What a strange rock!" and he fell right asleep. And all the animals got their food back. The end.

REVIEW: This story is spider-like. That is what I think of it. Spider-like means that it sounds just like a spider's telling it to you. I think it's a little too spider-like, and I don't like spiders so I didn't like it. I think Anansi was a little too greedy and if he takes everybody's food he'll get fat. It's also spider-funny-like. That's the end of my review. The end.

No comments: